Friday, October 13, 2017

Joining a Quilt Guild

An invitation to a quilt guild is an honor of sorts to me. As a novice, being surrounded by so much creativity and talent is a Huge inspiration.

Attending may be somewhat mundane at times while listening to budget items, but the atmosphere is enthusiastic. You are surrounded by people who have the same love of textiles as you!

Martingale has a divine article asking and defining three questions as to whether you should join a guildo. Have a look at it and check out the eye candy there as well.

I visited a local guilt guild by invitation; to say the least, I was ecstatic! I entered and was immediately welcomed at signing in. And Oh My! There was a round table chock full of Free- fun for the taking quilters items. Just a couple of examples were quilting books, pre-packaged patterns, finished blocks, partially completed quit projects with instructions in the bag and of course Lots of Fabrics to choose from! What could be more welcoming!

Enter a raffle for a couple of dollars for some great prizes, enter a raffle for wearing your very own hand-made, stitched name tag or enter the raffle for a Block of the Month. Each member has the opportunity to win all the blocks made for the month by entering their own. Each block you make gives you that many entries into the drawing.

One of the guild's fund raisers is a quilt made collectively by all the group. Here is the 2017 Raffle Quilt by the Calvert County Quilt Guild. Called  "Aztec Sunrise"; it was made from the Cinco De Mayo quilt pattern by Karen K. Stone, pieced by their guild members, and quilted by Allison Korb - also a guild member. Check out their page. They have a much lovelier photo than I could capture.



A Library for sharing, guild pins to wear and Show And Tell were some of the other attention capturing events! There may even be lectures by some semi-famous quilters.

To list some of the fun there are:
- Mystery Quilts
-Summer & Christmas Social parties
-Workshops
-Quilt Retreats
-Raffle Quilt involvement
-Challenge Quilt projects
-Charity Quilt projects
-And Lots of other community projects

Plus, you get to Make an Even Bigger Friends List! Why Not?

Here are some of the Goodies I Rescued from the Gift Pile. Do you see anything here that makes you smile? What would you make?


 
 
 
 

Each week I wish to make a post about the Rescue Pile and what is being constructed with the acquired items. Stayed tuned and leave me a comment on what you might make.

5 comments:

  1. Those are some real beauties that you rescued. The penguin batik fabric really caught my eye. It is so adorable! Glad you enjoyed your first quilt guild.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did enjoy the first guild meeting! And looking forward to going again! O Those penguins! I think I will be hoarding that for a while to chose the most perfect project!

      Delete
  2. Great finds. I usually look for the scraps. the tiny pieces that people would normally throw away so I can cut 1.5" squares for my postage stamp quilt. So those strips of fabric made me smile. Sounds like you had a great time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is fun to see what others would chose. Most of these are fabrics that wouldn't normally end up in my shopping cart so it is great to add a little mixture in my fabrics.

      Delete
  3. I do love my guild - boringness and all ;-) you are right tho - all that creativity! wow!

    ReplyDelete